Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Oh What A World

I love Rufus Wainwright, but I don't think he necessarily represents the values of my generation, partially because he's not remotely a part of it, and he's also not part of the current popular music scene. Wainwright's songs combine a wide variety, mainly reflecting opera, show tunes, classical piano, and older pop music from the 1930's. His songs are mostly about love, although some are about odd experiences with drugs, specific needs, and his family. I guess to an extent he represents our values--love is pretty common, most of us have faced family problems, etc--but he doesn't really do it in a way that highlights what kids of our generation are going through. His songs are more....experienced sounding, I guess. He has this one song, "Vibrate," that's about being a little outdated. It's like a song looking at today's values as opposed to being a part of them.

No comments: